We gather here a few suggestions for activities that can be done during your stay in L'Aquila. You may find many more suggestions at the webpage: https://www.quilaquila.it/#
Highlights around GSSI
L'Aquila city center, at walking distance from the GSSI. You may follow the main street going from the GSSI to the Castle park, as explore around the many lateral alleys and the many churches and squares which make up the old town. We recommend not to miss the Spanish Fort, the Fontana Luminosa and the Basilica of San Bernardino.
- Basilica of Santa Maria di Collemaggio is also at short distance from the GSSI. Once there you can enjoy a walk in the Parco del Sole nearby with an Amphisculpture by Beverly Pepper.
- MAXXI, a museum of contemporary art in the historical Ardinghelli Palace.
Thursday 9 am – 1 pm
Friday 9 am – 1 pm & 4 pm – 7 pm
Saturday and Sunday 10 am – 7 pm
- Fontana delle 99 Cannelle (Fountain of 99 Spouts), 1 km away from GSSI, see map.
Close by you will find the National Museum of Abruzzi MuNDA - Museo Nazionale d’Abruzzo. Opening hours: Tuesday-Sunday 8:30 am – 7:30pm.
- The Castle's Mammut can be visited on Saturdays and Sundays 10am-5pm at the Spanish Fortress in the Castle park.
- Madonna Fore-M.nte Castelvecchio-Convento San Giuliano - a short and panoramic hike in the very hearth of the city. The starting point is close to Restaurant "La Sbarra", 45 minutes walking from GSSI (see map). You can reach it by bus (lines 3 and 4 departing from Collemaggio terminalbus, see here and here for the schedule), or by car (it is possible to park in the area). The map of the hike (1,5 hours - 370m height difference) can be found at this page or downloaded here. For a shorter hike you may reach Madonna Fore Church (30' walk) and return back on the same path. See
Highlights around L'Aquila
- Gran Sasso Cable car. A cable car that connects the village of Fonte Cerreto (1115 m) to the western side of Campo Imperatore (2130 m), in the heart of the Gran Sasso d'Italia massif, see the LIVE WEBCAM for a view of the landscape. With a moderate 40 minute hike from Campo Imperatore, one can reach the Refuge "Rifugio Duca degli Abruzzi" (2388 m).
The departure point of the cable car at Fonte Cerreto can be reached within 30 minutes by bus or 20 minutes by car from GSSI. The timetable of buses from L'Aquila Collemaggio Terminalbus to Fonte Cerreto can be found here (timetable valid from Monday to Saturday) and here (timetable valid on Sunday and during holidays). A 3D map of the summer trials over Gran Sasso can be found here.
- Bominaco Village. The village of Bominaco, 30km from L'Aquila's city center, is recognized for two medieval churches built during the XII century. In particular, the rich frescoes found in the "Oratory of San Pellegrino", will provide an unexpected treasure, see here for a few images. A description of the two churches is available here. A short walk starting from the Churches, in about 20 minutes, brings to the ruins of the old Castle. The castle belonged to a larger complex of castles built to safeguard the territory, and offer a view of the surround mountains.
Bominaco can be reached by buses leaving from Collemaggio Terminal station, see TUA Abruzzo webpage (30 min trip).
Departures from L'Aquila to Bominaco:
Monday-Saturday at 08.00 - 14.10 - 16.40 - 19.00
Departure from Bominaco to L'Aquila: Monday-Saturday at 17:50
Departure from Bominaco to L'Aquila passing through Caporciano (4,2km, see map):
Monday-Saturday: Bominaco 19:50 - Caporciano 19.59 & Caporciano 21:00 - L'Aquila 21:35
- Rocca Calascio. Situated more than 1400 metres high, on the tip of a ridge, the Castle of Rocca Calascio is among the highest fortifications in Italy. The majestic medieval structure has inspired numerous films such as "In the Name of the Rose" and "Ladyhawke". Rocca Calascio is 32,5 km from GSSI, see map.
Rocca Calascio can be reached by car (parking possible before entering the village) or by a 30 min soft hike from the town of Calascio, which can be reached by buses leaving from Collemaggio Terminal station, see TUA Abruzzo webpage (50 min trip).
Departures from L'Aquila to Calascio:
Monday-Saturday at 08.05 - 11.30 - 14.15
Departures from Calascio to L'Aquila:
Monday-Saturday at 15.46
Here a few information about L'Aquila and his region:
- Short history of L'Aquila
- The first jubilee - A little-known reason to visit the medieval town of L'Aquila
- 10 typical food products from Abruzzo
- Hiking in Abruzzo